Froch and Hearn eye Bute, Kessler and Ward in 2013 - 19/11/2012
The Cobra set for huge year after blasting Mack away
Carl Froch is aiming to secure a trilogy of mega fights in 2013 after demolishing Yusaf Mack in three rounds of his first defence of the IBF World super middleweight title in Betfair’s ‘True Brit’ on Saturday night.
Froch pounced on the challenger early and put him on the canvas in the opening round before vicious body fights in the third accounted for the Philadelphian.
The Cobra now turns his attention to the possibility of three huge rematches in 2013, starting with the contracted rematch with Lucian Bute in Canada, the man he savagely ripped the IBF crown from in May. The 35 year old then has his sights set on avenging the only defeats on his record against Mikkel Kessler and Andre Ward, and with Mack unable to land any punches of note against the brilliant Froch, the Nottingham man is raring to get stuck in to a hat-trick of box office blockbusters.
“I haven't got time to waste,” said Froch. “I wouldn't be stupid and jump back in the ring too early but I have no injuries, my hands are fine so I feel good and if something could come off sooner rather than later I'd prefer that.
“Other than fighting at the Capital FM Arena the next best thing would be the City Ground, it would be unbelievable. I go to loads of Nottingham Forest games and I go on the pitch sometimes and get a standing ovation so to be in the middle of the pitch fighting someone like Kessler or Ward I can only imagine how phenomenal that would be, a career defining night.”
Froch’s promoter Eddie Hearn said the work on Froch’s next fights begins today, and said the team were happy to travel to Canada to rematch Bute, although he was question whether Froch’s devastating win coupled with Bute’s recent laboured victory over Denis Grachev would put the former champion off from taking the fight.
“We are obliged to go to Montreal in March for the Lucian Bute rematch but I don't know after his performance against Grachev and Carl's performance on Saturday that they are going to want to take him on,” said Hearn. “There's the issue of the mandatory challenger in Adonis Stevenson who is a good fighter, we want to fight Kessler and Ward said on Twitter that he could be interested in a fight in the UK and I think he'd come. I want to do a stadium fight with Carl next summer.”
After entering the ring to a crescendo of noise in his hometown, Froch wasted little time and halfway through the opening round Mack hit the canvas from Froch’s first attack, with the American was forced to hang on and relieved to hear the bell at the end of the first.
A quiet second round burst into life at the end with Froch pinning Mack against the ropes and hurting the challenger with pinpoint accuracy in his work, especially to the body.
In the third round, it was Froch’s crisp body punches that ended the action as he fired two beautiful shots to the ribs with left and right hands to crumple Mack to the canvas, sickening blows he could not recover from.
“If he had got any success early on he'd have gained confidence and thought to himself: 'I can do this,' so I took the play away from him,” said Froch. “I didn't let him get his jab away and I was catching him with some heavy shots. It's nice to come out of the ring unscathed and the crowd still appreciated the performance which is great.
“It came a bit earlier that I expected but I landed some heavy shots and backed him up, he didn't move as much as I thought he would. The 12 weeks training camp that I did for tonight got me the big win, I put the graft in to get the reward. I believe the fight is won or lost before you step through the ropes. I lost to Andre Ward before the fight as mentally I wasn't switched on and physically I was drained. I put that down to experience and it won't happen again.”